SmarterMail's chat feature allows users on the domain to chat with each another, instantly and securely, right within the webmail interface or by using most third-party chat clients that support the XMPP (Jabber) protocol. There's no doubt email is a great communications mechanism, but there are times when real-time communication is crucial.
Navigating Your Chat Contacts
The chat section of SmarterMail is divided into three main areas:
- The navigation pane displays the contacts on your domain you can chat with. To view details for a specific contact, simply click the desired contact.
- The content pane displays all available details about the selected contact.
- The preview pane displays a list of the most recent chat conversations related to the selected contact.
Note: The same information is available for any aliases you may be a member of. An alias of email@example.com may be used to send chat messages to all members of that department that are online and functions identically to an individual chat contact.
In general, the following options are available from the content pane toolbar:
- Chat - Starts a chat with the selected contact/alias in a new window.
Changing Your Chat Status
Users can manage their chat status within the webmail interface by clicking the chat status menu in the upper right corner. Users can change their status to one of the following:
- Available - You are available to receive and respond to chat messages via the webmail interface.
- Away - You are logged into chat, but are away from your computer and may not respond right away.
- Busy - You are logged into chat, but are busy and may not respond to right away.
- Offline You are logged out of chat and cannot receive chat messages. Note: If you are using a third-party client for chat, but still keep the webmail interface open for your email, calendars, etc., setting your chat status to offline in webmail will not affect your chat status in the third-party client. Therefore, chats will only display in your third-party client rather than in both the client and the webmail interface.
Viewing a Contact's Chat History
On occasion, you may need to refer to a previous chat conversation you had with a contact. To review the chats you've had with a specific contact, select the desired contact in the navigation pane. A Chat tab with the list of recent chat conversations will load in the preview pane, regardless of whether they occurred within the Web interface or using a third-party chat client. To view the details of the chat converation, simple select the desired conversation and click Open. The chat history will open in a new window.